10.16.2011

My Etsy shop and book review


Hello Strangers!  
I just checked to see when my last blog post was and it says I haven't posted since AUGUST 18TH!!!  WOW!  I'm sort of embarrassed about that.  Why have a blog if I'm not going to use it?  Meh.  Well, I've been swamped with life.  Mason is at the age where I am just really trying to keep him alive for five minute stretches of time.  He's constantly shoving things in his mouth or trying to leap off of high places.  Not to mention trying to fall head first into toilets or other water containing vessels in our home (thanks to older children who leave bathroom doors open constantly).  Seventeen months old is just that age where maintaining life is all a momma can hope to accomplish on any given day.  

We have also began our school year here at the Kelver Academy and things are going very well.  Adisynne is learning so much!  I am so proud of her.  She is 4 years old and already doing Kindergarten lessons.  She is just so eager to learn, learn, learn!  I have to tell her when school time is over because she just wants to keep going and going all day long.  

I have been quite busy with other business as well.  I am watching more kids now so my days is filled with boogers, poop, and messes (and lots of fun, too).  

To top it all off I have been persuaded to open an Etsy shop to sell some of my handmade things.  I thought it would be a good idea to "advertise" on here since this page is seen by all of you lovely individuals who I know would love nothing more than to buy something from me....right??? :D  

Well, if you are one of those individuals who is looking to buy baby and momma related items please stop by my shop and take a look-see every now and again.  I just opened it up last night so I am still loading photos and listing items every night.  Chances are in the next week its going to look a little different every night.

~~~~~~~~~~~*****************~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the "blog" portion of this post I will talk about an amazing book I've read recently titled "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Karp.  This book is fantastic for any parent and especially new parents or parents of fussy babies.  I thought I was a baby "whiz" two months ago and didn't really need to learn anything else about how to carry or soothe them.  I'm pretty good, really. ;)  But man-oh-man was I wrong!  I turned each page with this wide-eyed and open-mouth expression on my face as I learn new things.  Dr. Karp talks about the "5 S's" of soothing a baby.  These are not necessarily new ideas, but his presentation of them, the reasons why they work, and the exact way to do each of them is fantastic.  It was not only a good read but when I went to put them into practice on my best friend's new sweet (adorable, amazing, precious, lovely, beautiful .... I love her a little bit) baby girl, THEY REALLY WORKED!  It was like magic.  Swaddle + side hold= instantly happy baby girl.  My friend, her husband and I were all awestruck as we watched it transform their sad newborn into a peaceful on-the-verge-of-sleep baby.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who is pregnant, anyone who has a new baby, anyone who is ever going to be a parent, anyone who is ever going to be around a baby!!  If you think you have nothing more to learn about babies, I'd beg you to go borrow this book from the library and be prepared to be amazed at how much you will learn.  Being able to sooth your baby is the best feeling in the world and how frustrating is it when you've literally exhausted all you know to do and nothing is working.  I'd give this book a try before you go out and try another option.  I know some people have success with gripe water, and lots of people don't.  But every baby will benefit from this book and what Dr. Karp teaches, whether they are a fussy baby or not.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your Etsy store!

    I was blessed to receive Dr. Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block" video as a shower gift with my firstborn. It was such a HUGE blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and questions go here:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...